The holiday season is a time for joy, indulgence, and celebration. It is easy to let our health and fitness goals slide now that the holiday season has kicked off. The truth is, now is the best time to refocus and reclaim your well-being. In this post, we’ll explore actionable tips to help you get back on track with your health and fitness post turkey meals.
- Bid Farewell to Leftovers:Tip: Clear out the tempting leftovers to eliminate daily temptations.According to nutrition experts at the Cleveland Clinic, one of the first steps to getting back on track is to remove holiday leftovers from your sight. Clearing your kitchen of these tempting treats can make it easier to resume healthier eating habits without constant temptation.
- Prioritize Hydration:Tip: Drink water consistently throughout the day.The American Council on Exercise recommends rehydrating your body post-holiday. Increased water intake helps flush out toxins, supports digestion, and can even aid in weight management. Carry a reusable water bottle with you throughout the day to make staying hydrated a habit.
- Reestablish a Consistent Sleep Schedule:Tip: Set a regular bedtime and create a relaxing pre-sleep routine.Mayo Clinic experts emphasize the importance of a consistent sleep schedule for overall health. Returning to a regular sleep routine can improve energy levels, mood, and cognitive function. Create a calming pre-sleep routine, avoid screens before bedtime, and aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
- Prioritize Exercise:Tip: Stay in your current exercise routine. If you aren’t moving your body on a daily basis, start now. Exercise provides a multitude of benefits for both the mind and the body including improved cardiovascular health, weight management, enhanced muscle strength and flexibility, bone health, improved mental health, better sleep, stress reduction, enhanced immune system, improved metabolic health, increased energy levels, social interaction, brain health and improved self-esteem and confidence. Wow!
- Practice Mindful Eating:Tip: Be present during meals, savor each bite, and listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues.Harvard Health emphasizes the importance of mindful eating for maintaining a healthy relationship with food. Pay attention to what you eat, enjoy the flavors, and avoid distractions during meals. This practice can help prevent overeating and promote a more mindful approach to nutrition.
- Incorporate Mindfulness into Daily Life:Tip: Take short breaks for mindful breathing or meditation.The American Psychological Association recommends incorporating mindfulness into your daily routine. Short mindfulness breaks, whether through deep breathing exercises or meditation, can help reduce stress and increase overall well-being. Consider integrating these practices into your day to enhance mental and emotional resilience.
There are five weeks left in the year. That is a substantial amount of time to continue making positive, consistent changes yielding significant results. By addressing leftover temptations, staying hydrated, prioritizing sleep, gradually reintroducing exercise, and practicing mindful eating and mindfulness, you’ll be well on your way to reclaiming your wellness. Embrace the opportunity to finish 2023 strong and commit to building habits that support your health and fitness journey.